Since 1995 the Tumorbank Basel Foundation (German: Stiftung Tumorbank Basel) is a non-for-profit foundation acting in cancer translation research. The purpose of the Tumorbank Basel Foundation is to support in promoting optimization of decision making process for the management of solid cancer personalized treatment modalities to the benefit of the patient.
* Acquisition and storage of biological material and clinical data of patients suffering of solid cancer diseases in particular breast and prostate cancer.
* Promoting and supporting cancer research using the acquired material and data for clinical studies and translational research.
* The development of molecular tumor analyses / tools for cancer patients and the performance of the resulting diagnostic services for personalized treatment modalities.
The Tumorbank Basel Foundation has acquired
* Data about more than 10'000 breast cancer patients
* Data comprise clinical and pathological (histology & IHC) characteristics and biochemical (continuous quantified protein expression levels) features, which are available for almost all samples as well as clinical follow-ups now available for more than 2'000 patients
* The RNA expression level of 65 genes has been assessed in >800 samples by Real-Time PCR (317 retrospectively in cases with follow-up, the remaining on a routine basis, prospectively since 2004)
The Tumorbank Basel Foundation is storing in Freezers at - 80 degrees C
* Ca. 6'000 fresh frozen tissue samples of breast cancer patients
* Ca. 9'000 particulate fractions (cytosol / membrane) of all samples analyzed
* Ca. 1'000 paired non-malignant adjacent tissue material samples
* More than 1'000 extracted RNA samples of good quality
* Serum and plasma collection from patients has been started since 2005
All data are stored in a relational SQL data bank using an application.
The Tumorbank Basel Foundation is collaborating with several pathology institutes allowing to perform studies correlating results obtained from fresh frozen and paired paraffin embedded tissue samples.
The Tumorbank Basel Foundation has started a prostate carcinoma project in Collaboration with the ZeTuP (www.zetup.ch) and pathology institute of St. Gallen. Fresh frozen samples of more than 150 prostate carcinoma patients have been collected and are under investigation.
Resource Type: Resource
Version: Latest Version
tissue bank, database, biomaterial supply resource, material storage repository
Cancer, Breast cancer, Prostate cancer, Solid cancer disease
Tumorbank Basel Foundation
One Mind Biospecimen Bank Listing, European Biobank
Frozen, Fresh frozen, Paraffin embedded
Stiftung Tumorbank Basel
Collaborators: The Tumorbank Basel Foundation is collaborating with several pathology institutes allowing to perform studies correlating results obtained from fresh frozen and paired paraffin embedded tissue samples.
SciCrunch is a data sharing and display platform. Anyone can create a custom portal where they can select searchable subsets of hundreds of data sources, brand their web pages and create their community. SciCrunch will push data updates automatically to all portals on a weekly basis. User communities can also add their own data to scicrunch, however this is not currently a free service.