Database of authoritative health information about diseases, conditions, and wellness issues that offers reliable, up-to-date health information for free. It contains the latest treatments, information on drugs and supplements, the meanings of words, and medical videos and illustrations. Links to the latest topic or disease specific medical research or clinical trials are also offered.
* MedlinePlus pages contain carefully selected links to Web resources with health information on over 900 topics.
** The MedlinePlus health topic pages include links to current news on the topic and related information. You can also find preformulated searches of the MEDLINE/PubMed database, which allow you to find references to latest health professional articles on your topic.
* The A.D.A.M. medical encyclopedia brings health consumers an extensive library of medical images and videos, as well as over 4,000 articles about diseases, tests, symptoms, injuries, and surgeries.
* The Merriam-Webster medical dictionary allows you to look up definitions and spellings of medical words.
* Drug and supplement information is available from the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) via AHFS Consumer Medication Information, and Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Consumer Version.
** AHFS Consumer Medication Information provides extensive information about more than 1,000 brand name and generic prescription and over-the-counter drugs, including side effects, precautions and storage for each drug.
** Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Consumer Version is an evidence-based collection of information on alternative treatments. MedlinePlus has 100 monographs on herbs and supplements.
* Interactive tutorials from the Patient Education Institute explain over 165 procedures and conditions in easy-to-read language.
An XML File for the MedlinePlus Health Topics is available, http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/xmldescription.html. The ontology is available through Bioportal, http://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/MEDLINEPLUS
Resource Type: Resource
Version: Latest Version
drug, herb, medication, over-the-counter, prescription, supplement, health, clinical trial, disease, condition, image, test, symptom, injury, surgery, generic drug, umls, ontology, gold standard
Additional Resource Types
database, video resource
MedlinePlus Health Topics, MedlinePlus - Drugs, Supplements and Herbal Information
Contact: NLM Customer Service, custserv (at) nlm.nih.gov
Created 5 years ago by Anonymous