German biobank registry containing names, addresses of the contact persons, web links and basic information of the biobanks. The Registry is available in German and English and is organized by content and by region. The goal is to create public awareness and understanding of the objectives and functions of biobanks, and to arrange collaborations between scientists. The registry cooperates with the European initiative Biobanking and Biomolecular Resources Research Infrastructure (BBMRI).
Currently the first phase is implemented as an open access registry. A further expansion is planned with the possibility of online data entry and correction. The German Biobank Registry should help scientists and researchers, but also the interested public as an information gateway to serve. The functions of the registry are:
* providing a publicly available registry of the medically relevant biobanks in Germany
* improving the national and international visibility of German biobanks;
* provision of partners for cooperation;
* networking among biobanks;
* promoting the exchange of information and of samples between research groups and institutions (hospitals, research institutes and pharmaceutical and biotech companies) operating biobanks;
* improved use of existing resources;
* promotion of transparency and understanding of the objectives and functions of biobanks in the general public;
* Establishing a community to develop common solutions for legal and regulatory issues and thus avoiding redundant expenses for the individual researcher;
* provide a planning basis for selective and efficient investments in new biobanks and the expansion of the existing infrastructure.
The TMF is cooperating with the European BBMRI project to improve the biobank infrastructure in Europe. Data collection for the national registry is consistent with the survey of BBMRI project. You have to sample the data of your biobank only once and your biobank will be visible nationally and internationally. On the last page of the questionnaire you can give your consent for the use and publication of data for both projects (TMF and BBMRI) specifically. If you participate in the survey that has been harmonized for use throughout Europe by the BBMRI your biobank will be presented to the scientific community, potential partners for cooperations, funding organizations and sponsors. Furthermore, the survey provides an overview of the existing biobank infrastructure in Germany, and by this supports plans to ensure the sustainability and international competitiveness of German biobanks and the necessity of further financial support.
Resource Type: Resource
Version: Latest Version
biobank, biorepository, registry, germany, biospecimen
Additional Resource Types
database, biomaterial supply resource, registry
Public, The community can contribute to this resource
Resource:Biobanking and Biomolecular Resources Research Infrastructure (BBMRI)
German Biobank Registry
German Federal Ministry of Research and Education,
One Mind Biospecimen Bank Listing, European Biobank
Created 3 years ago by Anonymous