An open organization engaged in the development of interoperable online metadata standards that support a broad range of purposes and business models. DCMI's activities include work on architecture and modeling, discussions and collaborative work in DCMI Communities and DCMI Task Groups, annual conferences and workshops, standards liaison, and educational efforts to promote widespread acceptance of metadata standards and practices.
The Dublin Core Metadata Initiative provides simple standards to facilitate the finding, sharing and management of information.
DCMI does this by:
* Developing and maintaining international standards for describing resources
* Supporting a worldwide community of users and developers
* Promoting widespread use of Dublin Core solutions
The major characteristics of DCMI as an organization are (the three Is):
* Independent: DCMI is not controlled by specific commercial or other interests and is not biased towards specific domains nor does it mandate specific technical solutions
* International: DCMI encourages participation from organizations anywhere in the world, respecting linguistic and cultural differences
* Influenceable: DCMI is an open organization aiming at building consensus among the participating organizations; there are no prerequisites for participation
The development and maintenance of a core set of metadata terms (the DCMI Metadata Terms) continues to be one of the main activities of DCMI. In addition, DCMI is developing guidelines and procedures to help implementers define and describe their usage of Dublin Core metadata in the form of Application Profiles. This work is done in a work structure that provides discussion and cooperation platforms for specific communities (e.g. education, government information, corporate knowledge management) or specific interests (e.g. technical architecture, accessibility).
Anyone wishing to participate may do so by simply joining the appropriate mailing list for the activity of interest. The DC-General mailing list is the general forum for community participation and announcements.
Resource Type: Resource
Version: Latest Version
Resource PubMed IDs
PMID: 12437788, PMID: 12556243, PMID: 12769826, PMID: 15833128, PMID: 19380315, PMID: 20463926, PMID: 20739925, PMID: 21586134, PMID: 21941477, PMID: 22357728, PMID: 23258956, PMID: 23479348, PMID: 23497723, PMID: 23700360, PMID: 25286838
Last checked up;
Additional Resource Types
Created 4 years ago by Anonymous