Large-scale collection of biological samples and data from people with multiple sclerosis, selected other demyelinating diseases, and unaffected controls. The repository not only provides much-needed samples and data to researchers studying MS and other diseases, but also aggregates the results from all of these studies so that they can be analyzed collectively, leading to new findings and breakthroughs. Since May 2006, we have been collecting blood, DNA, imaging once/yr.
There are several demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system that share many features in common with MS. These diseases include transverse myelitis (TM), neuromyelitis optica (NMO), acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM), and optic neuritis (ON). Our repository enrolls subjects with these conditions as well, because so much can be learned by studying different diseases at the same time.
Key features of the repository:
* The repository currently includes samples and data from over 2,700 subjects with Multiple Sclerosis, Neuromyelitis Optica, Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis, Transverse Myelitis, Optic Neuritis, and Clinically Isolated Syndromes, as well as controls
* Subjects are enrolled at a network of 10 MS clinics located across the US and may return to contribute updated data and new samples at longitudinal visits
* Blood samples are provided as aliquots as serum, plasma, DNA, RNA, and lymphocytes
* Each sample is accompanied by 40+ pages of clinical and epidemiological data contributed by the subject and the enrolling neurologist
* Samples and data are available to any researcher, at any institution anywhere in the world, whose research will add to our knowledge about MS and other demyelinating diseases
* Scientists requesting samples and/or data must commit to contribute their results at a future date back into the repository
* It is believed that combined analysis of the clinical, epidemiological, and experimental data in the repository will lead to a richer understanding of MS and new insights that can only result from a multi-disciplinary approach
They are currently enrolling subjects at sites across the United States. They are seeking individuals with Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Clinically Isolated Syndromes (CIS), Transverse Myelitis (TM), Neuromyelitis Optica (NMO) or Devic's, Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM), and Optic Neuritis (ON). Individuals with MS, CIS, TM, NMO, ADEM or ON who meet the inclusion/exclusion criteria are eligible to participate. In addition, we ask enrolled subjects to refer their affected and unaffected blood relatives and certain unaffected non-relatives to the study.
Resource Type: Resource
Version: Latest Version
multiple sclerosis, blood, dna, image, demyelinating disease, control, transverse myelitis, neuromyelitis optica, acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, optic neuritis, clinical data, epidemiological data, clinical, longitudinal
One Mind Biospecimen Bank Listing, Biobank
Multiple Sclerosis, Demyelinating disease, Normal control, Transverse Myelitis, Neuromyelitis Optica, Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis, Optic Neuritis
Accelerated Cure Project Repository, Multiple Schlerosis (MS) Repository
Sample type: Blood, Serum, Plasma, DNA, RNA, Lymphocyte,
Additional Resource Types
biomaterial supply resource, image collection, biospecimen repository, data or information resource
Public: Samples and data are available to any researcher, At any institution anywhere in the world, Whose research will add to our knowledge about MS and other demyelinating diseases. Scientists requesting samples and/or data must commit to contribute their results at a future date back into the repository.
Last checked up;
Created 4 years ago by Anonymous